At the John of Gaunt School, we are highly committed to ensuring our students are safe on when using technology by teaching them how to be SMART.
Keep safe by being careful not to give out personal information when you’re chatting or posting online. Personal information includes:
· Your real name
· your email address,
· your real address
· your phone number,
· your age,
· your school.
|Meeting someone you have only been in touch with online can be dangerous. Only do so with your parents or carers permission and even then only when they can be present. Remember online friends are still strangers even if you have been talking to them for a long time.|
|Accepting emails, IM messages, or opening files, pictures or texts from people you don’t know or trust can lead to problems as they may contain viruses or nasty messages!|
|Someone online might lie about who they are and information on the internet may not be true. Always check information with other websites, books or someone who knows. If you like chatting online it’s best to only chat to your real world friends and family.|
|Tell your parent, carer or a trusted adult if someone or something makes you feel uncomfortable or worried, or if you or someone you know is being bullied online.|
Want to find out more?
- Everyone – https://www.ceop.police.uk/
- Year 7 and Year 8 – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/11_13/
- Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11 – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/14_plus/
- Sixth form – https://www.getsafeonline.org/protecting-yourself/
- Parents – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/
- Teachers – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/teachers/