New Year 7 – Sept 2017
8th March 2017
I am delighted your child is joining The John of Gaunt School in September 2017. We are very much looking forward to working with your family over the coming years. By September our aim is to ensure all children feel happy and confident about joining us, and that we have a thorough understanding of them as individuals.
In May, senior colleagues and I will be visiting your son/daughter in their primary schools in order to get to know the children and speak to their current teachers. The information we gather from the primary schools will help us arrange the most effective groupings for Year 7. If you have any specific requests or information to share then please let your child’s teacher know or contact us directly using the details below.
There are further opportunities for both pupils and parents to visit us before the end of term and I am also very happy to arrange personal tours for families if they wish. Please note the following key dates:
Induction day visit for new pupils on Tuesday 4th July.
Parents should bring their children to Wingfield Hall at 8.40 am. They will be put into learning groups and spend the day with staff getting to know each other, touring the school, meeting staff and sampling lessons.
Equipment needed for the day includes: a packed lunch or lunch money, the Handbook for New Pupils, a pen, pencil and ruler, normal primary school clothing and PE kit.
The day ends at 2.45pm. Parents to collect pupils at Wingfield Gate.
Please click on the link to show photographs of the members of staff who your child will be involved with on the Induction day visit. Transition Staff photos
Evening meeting for parents of new pupils Tuesday 4th July at 7pm
Parents/carers are warmly requested to come to the school to meet the Headteacher, House Leaders and other senior staff.
The evening will begin at 7pm with a short meeting in Wingfield Hall. There will be an opportunity to run through key information with your child’s House Leader. Due to limited space in the school hall we would be grateful if your son or daughter did not accompany you on this evening.
During the evening you will also have the opportunity to meet the following people:
- Miss Marshall, Director of Individual Learning, to discuss any academic support your child may need.
- Key pastoral support staff.
- Scholars Outfitters, to buy items of school uniform.
Open days for parents and pupils on Tuesday 5th – Friday 8th July from 9am until 12 noon. Should you wish to have a further tour of the school please contact Mrs S Nichols on 01225 711156 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Opportunity to walk the school site – Friday 1st September at 3.15pm. Meet in Wingfield reception. No need to book in advance.
First day of Year 7 – Tuesday 5th September 2017
- Arrive in uniform at 8.40am for a welcome from the Headteacher.
- 8.45am parents leave and students spend the first 2 lessons of the day with their tutor. Only Year 7 are on site until 10.45am.
- School finishes at 3pm.
The following documents are enclosed:
- Handbook for New Students and Parents – this includes lots of information about what to expect, uniform/equipment needed, organisation of the school day etc
- Data Collection Form and Data Protection Information – a form to collect the data that we are legally required to and a letter to explain how we will use, store and protect that data.
- Transition Permission/Agreement Form – in addition to the legally required information we also request your contact details for our ParentMail communication system; your agreement that your son/daughter will use the school computers responsibly and permission to use your son/daughter’s photographic images to celebrate achievement and promote the educational activities of the school.
- Music Lessons Form – to gather information so we can start to make arrangements.
Please return these forms by post or to Wingfield Reception by the 27th May.
I appreciate many parents will want to start purchasing school uniform (details can be found in the handbook). Please do not purchase your child’s polo shirt or PE top until they have come in for their induction day on 4th July and have been told their House. Please note that siblings are not always automatically placed in the same House. There will be an opportunity for parents to order uniform at the Information Evening on 5th July.
If you have any queries about your child’s transition and any further support we can provide, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Eugene Spiers, Assistant Headteacher (Transition) – email@example.com
Sandra Nichols, Headteacher’s Personal Assistant – firstname.lastname@example.org
Vicky Marshall, Special Educational Needs Coordinator – email@example.com
Main school switchboard – 01225 762637
This is an exciting time full of new experiences and opportunities and we are very keen to support you and your son/daughter through the process. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch.